SOLUTION: My Sesame unlocked the door by itself

This might be caused by the inaccuracy of your GPS or bad/unstable GPS data.

The “inaccuracy of your GPS” can be described as any circumstance where your GPS device records locations (or other) data that does not accurately represent your activity. This can mean your device simply lost a connection to GPS satellites and did not record any data or that it recorded GPS points which deviate from your true path. That is, the bad of your GPS data results in your activities & locations on Sesame receiving wrong data thus opening the door.

In order to fix this problem, you can simply turn off the “KNOCK & AUTO-UNLOCK” feature in your account setting on the Sesame app.

Please follow the steps below to turn it off:

1. Open the Sesame app, click on the little gear icon on the top left of the main menu
  2. Tap on the little gear icon on the top right of your Sesame menu
  3. In Account Settings, scroll to the “KNOCK & AUTO-UNLOCK” section and turn it off.

Please note: Your guests will also need to turn off the “AUTO UNLOCK” function if they have the access to your Sesame.

0 Likes

Auto Unlock malfunction
FAQ - General & Technical
pinned #2
0 Likes

That’s what I’ve been doing, but is obviously a pain to enable/disable every time I leave or come home. I was hoping upgrading from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 7 would solve the problem but hasn’t. My current theory is that there are WiFi dead spots in my house that are causing the unexpected unlocks. It would be interested if CandyHouse could provide a debugging version of the app (or an option in the release version) that logs the current location info before, during and after an auto-unlock event (maybe 5 locations before and after). That way it might be possible to see what is triggering the auto-unlock and if using a “last 5 location average” might fix the problem (assuming that you aren’t already doing so). I’m happy to test or help any way that I can (I’m a software engineer by trade).

= Ron

0 Likes

Your phone relies on gps to find out where it is and when it can’t it relies on wifi router triangulations.

If you are experiencing sporadic and odd gps around your home, you need to enable in iOS privacy location settings improve maps (maybe frequent locations and wifi networking too, it’s no for sure) and wait for few days. It’ll improve location accuracy in your house and you will experience less jumpy gps location.

0 Likes

Half the time I get the notification that the app is ready for auto unlock, but it doesn’t actual work. A while after I got in the house, suddenly the lock auto unlock. This is not a very good security feature as this means the lock may unlock in the middle of the night for no reason.

0 Likes

Apologies for the belated response. Please check out this post here regarding the possible cause of your Sesame unlocking by itself. We hope this helps clarify and solve your issue. For specific assistance, please email us at sesame@candyhouse.co. Thank you!

0 Likes

I suggested it before, but I’ll do so again. The app should ignore short-lived long-distance jumps in the location data. I see this behavior even when my phone is sitting on my nightstand. The electronic term for this solution is hysteresis. Its used to de-bounce switches and filter out line noise. It takes a bit of memory and some logic, but isn’t that hard to write, you can probably find an example in any Arduino library that handles push buttons.

0 Likes

Thanks for your feedback! We know GPS drift is an issue when it comes to the geofence and it’s not ideal for Sesame to erroneously auto-unlock when it’s not intended. We will be looking at other solutions for this issue once the Wi-Fi Access Point is available. In the mean time, we’ll be sure to pass your suggestion to our dev team. Thanks! - CANDY HOUSE

0 Likes

Since a week or two I noticed a few instances of the lock autounlocking by itself when I was home. Last night it did it at 11:26PM. My wife freaked out.
It never happened before. Was there a change in the firmware or is it an android 9 issue?

Disabling the autounlock when I’m home defeats the idea of hands free operation of the autounlock feature.

0 Likes

We are so sorry to hear about this issue and for the alarm caused! Unfortunately this issue is likely due to GPS drift triggering auto-unlock and there is little we can do in the app to combat this issue. We’re really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Can you show us a screenshot of your Sesame app history indicating the times you noticed these unlocks occur so we can check out the logs and see if it was due to GPS drift or if it may be due to a different issue? If it turns out not to be auto-unlock, it may be something we can patch in an app update, and we’d appreciate additional information if possible. Thanks! - CANDY HOUSE

0 Likes

We will be releasing update 1.3.0 over the next few days on the Google Play store, can you please update your app and let us know if the issue persists? Depending on the cause of the unlocking issue for you, we’re hopeful the most recent update includes a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience caused! - CANDY HOUSE

0 Likes

Apologies for the delay in responding. I will get you the screenshot when I’m back home tonight. I believe you are correct about the issue being related to gps. I’m pretty confident the autounlock occured in tandem with me changing the battery saving settings. The gps might be switched off or in some standby while the battery-saver is on. Once I turn off the battery-saver the location is known and it is triggering the lock.

0 Likes

Thanks for the additional information! Yes, turning the battery saver on can definitely affect the accuracy of the GPS location reported by your device. For this reason, we don’t recommend using the battery saver function at the same time as using auto-unlock as inaccurate GPS reports can cause auto-unlock to not work properly or unlock when it shouldn’t. Unfortunately there isn’t anything we can do on the app side to determine if the GPS location reported is accurate or not, so please ensure battery saver is not enabled when using auto-unlock. We’re really sorry for the inconvenience! - CANDY HOUSE

0 Likes

As I just witnessed, battery saver mode is not the only culprit. I picked up the phone to take a photo and the door unlocked itself.

0 Likes