How Do I Set up Auto-Unlock?
For you to turn Auto-Unlock on, please follow the steps below:
- Open the Sesame app, click on the little gear icon on the top left of the main menu
- Tap on the little gear icon on the top right of your Sesame menu
- In Account Settings, scoll to the “KNOCK & AUTO-UNLOCK” section
- First enable the “KNOCK & AUTO-UNLOCK” function, marked as “1”. Second, check under the auto-unlock feature.
- You will be asked to set your location; double check to make sure the GPS is enabled in phone’s settings.
- When the Auto-Unlock function is successfully set up, the message “Location updated successfully” will show up.
Congratulations, You’re all set here.
How Does it Work?
Please note when the “auto-unlock” function is turned on, it does NOT mean your door will be unlocked when you’re by the door.
The auto-unlock feature will wake up as soon as you enter a 100m distance from your Sesame, which roughly translates to 1-2 blocks away. Once you are within the Bluetooth range of your Sesame, and your phone is connected to your Bluetooth, your Sesame will unlock the door for you.
After you leave your house (or your office, or wherever your Sesame is), once you’re outside the 100m radius, you will see a notification that says “Goodbye”. And when you return, and enter the 100m radius, you will see a notification saying “Welcome back.” This shows the auto-unlock feature is functioning properly.
As soon as you step within Sesame’s Bluetooth range, approximately 30 ft or less, your Sesame will connect to your smartphone and unlock the door. You will then see the "Open Sesame" notification.
Troubleshoot: if the auto-unlock feature is not functioning properly, you will still be able to unlock your door via your Sesame app manually or with your key.
Why doesn’t my “auto unlock” work even when I am in the 100m radius?
Auto unlock depends on your GPS, so your GPS must be in the 100m radius.
This is usually a problem for iPhones, because the GPS does not constantly update. It will update only after a bit of time, thus you might have to wait for the GPS to "catch up" with you in the 100m radius.
On entering the 100m radius, your Sesame wake up and wait to connect via Bluetooth to your phone. So this means if your GPS is not in that 100m radius, your Sesame will not wake up and so even when you reach the door, it does not auto unlock.
To enhance the accuracy of your GPS, please turn on your Wi-Fi function (just like when playing Pokemon Go.)