GUIDE: How do I add and remove managers and guests?

Note: If you do not see options for adding managers or permitted times for guests, please update your Sesame software version. To do so, please connect to your Sesame via Bluetooth and then click Status > Change Settings > Software Version > Update to update your Sesame to the latest version. Once you have done so, the options for managers and permitted times will be enabled.

Introduction

There are three access levels for Sesame: owner, manager, and guest. There can be only one owner, but up to 99 additional managers and/or guests can be added to each Sesame.

Owner

The owner is the person to which the Sesame is registered. Owners can do everything managers and guests can do, but in addition they are also the only ones who can perform the tasks listed below:

• Remove Sesame from account
  • Add and remove managers
  • Reconfigure Sesame angles
  • Set auto-lock
  • Update Sesame software version
  • Link Sesame and Wi-Fi Access Point
  • Enable cloud integrations and connect Sesame to services like Google, Alexa, Siri, IFTTT, and API

Managers

Managers have the ability to do the following:

• Lock and unlock Sesame at any time via Bluetooth
  • Add and remove guests and edit guest access times via Bluetooth
  • Enable knock and auto-unlock for themselves
  • View Sesame history

Managers can also do the following if the owner has linked the Sesame to a Wi-Fi Access Point (please note the Wi-Fi Access Point will not be visible in the manager’s app):

• Lock and unlock Sesame at any time via Bluetooth
  • Add and remove guests and edit guest access times via Bluetooth
  • Enable and receive notifications

Guests

Guests have the most limited access and can only do the following:

• Lock and unlock Sesame via Bluetooth during permitted times (guests can never connect to Sesame via Wi-Fi)
  • Enable knock and auto-unlock for themselves

How to Add and Remove Managers

Add a Manager

1. To add a manager for your Sesame, click on Status.
  2. Click on “+ Add New Manager”.
  3. Enter the manager’s email address and click “Add New Manager.”

If your manager doesn’t already have a Sesame account, they will receive an email inviting them to download the Sesame app and create an account using the same email to which the invitation was sent. Once they download the app, create their account, and login to the app, they will see your Sesame in their app. If they already have a Sesame account, the next time they open their Sesame app, they will receive a notification that they have been granted access to a new Sesame, and Sesame will appear in their sidebar.

Remove a Manager

To remove a manager from your Sesame, click Status, click on on the manager’s name or email, then click “Remove This Manager.” The next time the manager uses the Sesame app, they will receive a notification that their access to your Sesame was revoked.

How to Add Guests, Edit Guest Access Times, and Remove Guests

Add a Guest

1. To add a guest for your Sesame, click on Status.
  2. Click on “+ Add New Guest”.
  3. Enter the guest’s email address and click “Add New Guest.”

If your guest doesn’t already have a Sesame account, they will receive an email inviting them to download the Sesame app and create an account using the same email to which the invitation was sent. Once they download the app, create their account, and login to the app, they will see your Sesame in their app. If they already have a Sesame account, the next time they open their Sesame app, they will receive a notification that they have been granted access to a new Sesame, and Sesame will appear in their sidebar.

Edit Guest Access Times

1. All guests will have “Full Access” by default, which means there are no restrictions on the dates and times they can control Sesame. To edit a guest’s permitted times, click on Status and then click on the guest’s name or email.
  2. You will see a yellow bar on the dates your guest has access. Click on the pencil icon in the bottom right corner to change the access dates and times.
  3. Toggle “Full Access” to OFF, then set the start date, start time, end date, end time, and how often this should repeat. The repetition options are no repeats, daily, weekly, and biweekly.
  4. Click “Save” when you are finished editing the start and end times. The calendar will update to show the new permitted dates.
  5. When the guest connects to Sesame outside of the permitted times, they can see Sesame’s status but will not be able to change it via the app. The app will indicate that they are outside of the permitted times. Please note that guests will not be notified of changes to their access times and cannot see their permitted dates/times.

Remove a Guest

1. To remove a guest, click on Status and then click on the guest’s name or email.
  2. Click on the gear icon on the upper right corner, then click “Remove This Guest.” The next time the guest opens the Sesame app, they will receive a notification that their access to your Sesame has been revoked.

If you have any questions about managing your managers or guests, please let us know below or via email to sesame@candyhouse.co!

0 Likes

My guests tried pairing with my Sesame, and they could not discover it
FAQ - General & Technical
No instruction manual in box

My guest has created an account. When I tried to add him using his registered email, the process bombed out, saying thta I am not connected to my sesame. Why is that? Why should it be necessary for my phone to be connected to my sesame when I add the guest? Why can’t a temp key be generated by my app be used to allow my guest to open the door? This is too restrictive. Or maybe there is something else that I didnt do correctly?

0 Likes

Thanks for reaching out to us. The owner must be connected to Sesame via either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in order to make changes to guest access. Sesame itself will generate a key for your guest, which is then passed to the server through your phone, and then downloaded to your guest’s phone. Your app cannot generate the key on its own as Sesame would not recognize the temp key - the key must be generated by Sesame. If you don’t want to connect to Sesame via Bluetooth every time you want to add or remove a guest, you can use the iOS beta app Virtual Station or Wi-Fi Access Point (once available) to connect to allow for remote access to Sesame. This will allow you to add and remove guests from anywhere in the world (as long as you have internet access). Hope that answers your question! - CANDY HOUSE

0 Likes

Hi, can you make it so the guest doesn’t have to sign up beforehand? Seems like an unnecessary step given the owner has to add their email address anyway and send them an email.

If the email is not in your system, add them and send them a one time use link to update their account details and give them links to download the app.

Much easier than us having to walk the guest through the sign up process, then ask them to wait as we verify we can add them as a guest and then verify they can use the app to lock/unlock.

0 Likes

Thanks for your feedback! We completely understand that it’s not the most intuitive to require the guest to create and verify an account before you can grant them access, and we’ve changed the process for iOS users already. Now, to add a guest on iOS, you only need to enter their email to send them an invitation, and they will automatically have access after they create and verify their account using the same email address.

We are releasing a new Android app soon that will also have this feature, so stay tuned! Thanks again for letting us know your thoughts, and we’re happy to say this feature is already available on iOS and will be coming to Android shortly. Thanks for the reminder to update the original post! - CANDY HOUSE

0 Likes